Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Voice Translation Apps

A teacher told me the other day how she uses her phone in conferences with Spanish speaking parents.  The parents speak into the smart phone and an app translates things into English.   The teacher speaks into the  phone and the app translates it into Spanish for the parents.  What a great idea.  Think how great that would be for the school secretary.  I don't even have texting on my phone, it is NOT too smart (although smarter than I ever dreamed a phone would be when I was a kid) so I'm not the best one to write this review...we're going to handle this one differently.

I went back to my work area and installed three different free voice translators on my iPad.  I found that the one from Google wouldn't work with our proxy.  One called "Translator with Speech (Free)" didn't really have speech unless you paid $0.99.  A third, called "Translate Voice Free" seems to work great, but you only get about 10 translations per day without pauing $0.99.  --which isn't too much of an obstacle. 

If you have a Smart Phone which works off a satellite rather than the school's network, I'd suggest trying the Google one first, it includes Creole and I'm told it is really good. 

If you use a translator app, would you do us a favor?  Leave a comment below telling which app you use and what its advantages and disadvantages are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment